Electronic, telecommunication and ICT industry has been identified as one of the potential industrial area for further development in the future. Currently, there is a huge demand for electronic engineer hence the prospect of work for graduates completing this program are potentially high. Besides electronic and telecommunication companies, there are other info-technology-related firms requiring electronic engineering graduates.
Career opportunities for graduates can be found in the following areas:
- Consumer electronic: Manufacturing of products such as TV, radio, DVD/CD/cassette players, cameras, etc. The manufacturers for these products include Philips, Canon, and Sony.
- Electronic component: Manufacturing of integrated / discrete circuit and failure assessment /analysis. Potential employers in this area include Intel, Altera, National Instruments, and Flextronics.
- Telecommunication system: Development and manufacturing of telecommunication system products. Related companies include NEC, Motorola, Texas Instruments, Sapura, and Harris.
- Computer products, network systems and information security: Manufacturing of computer and network systems and related equipment. Involved companies include Hewlett Packard, Fujitsu, and Toshiba.
- Research and Development: Local organizations such as MDeC, MIMOS and SIRIM, as well as multinational companies that have a research center would require research engineers.
- Secondary industry: Industries such as oil refinery, textiles, and food processing where their products depend on electronic systems.
- Service industry: These include hospitals, transportation industries, broadcasting industries, and telecommunication industries where most equipment used are electronic-based. Companies involved in service industry include TM, Celcom, Sapura, MAXIS, TV3, Advancepact, and KTMB.